The Community Planning & Permitting Department licenses contractors performing work in unincorporated Boulder County. A contractor is anyone who engages in any type of work for compensation for which a building permit is required or who directs or supervises such work.
Boulder County does not have jurisdiction over contractor licensing in cities and towns in Boulder County. See Municipality Contacts Within Boulder County for information on contractor licensing in cities and towns.
The Following Are Not Considered to be Contractors:
- The property owner
- A laborer working under the supervision of a contractor
- A person who is performing labor or repair work on their own property
- An employee of the property owner who performs full-time maintenance or repair work on the property owners property
- State-licensed plumbers or electricians
Boulder County Licensed Contractors by Type
- Class A – Commercial or residential construction
- Class B – Residential work; Commercial remodeling or tenant finish
- Class C – One and two-family residential
- Commercial Mechanical – Commercial mechanical installations and repair
- Residential Mechanical – Residential mechanical installations and repair
- Roofing – New roofing, re-roofing
- Class M – Includes but not be limited to: deconstruction, masonry, grading and excavations, repair and installation of signs, solar photo-voltaic equipment installation and repair, residential elevator repair and installation, window replacements, re-siding, installation of listed wood-burning appliances, 1-story pre-engineered agricultural buildings that do not contain habitable space, electrical, HVAC, or plumbing.