Lvl 2 Fire Restrictions in effect for western Boulder County. No fireworks, fires, shooting (map/flyer). State fire restrictions for rest of county.

COVID-19 updates are available in English and Spanish. See list of Resources (Recursos) for those impacted by COVID-19.

Special Events Permits – Roads

Special Events Permit - Roads

Due to COVID-19, Boulder County-permitted Special Events of more than 175 persons are prohibited until further notice. This limit will not be increased until Boulder County applies for and receives approval to enter the Protect Our Neighbors phase as outlined by the State of Colorado. View Boulder County’s progress towards moving to move to Protect our Neighbors.

All Special Events must follow all applicable current local and state guidance.

COVID-19 and Special Events

The following policies are in place until further notice:

  • The application fee of $50 is due at time of submittal, the performance deposit of $500 can be paid at any time between application submittal and permit issuance.
  • All event dates and event concepts (both original, postponed and rescheduled) are subject to current health guidelines, declarations and available resources, noting that all future events may be subject cancellation, postponement and/or reduced size, scope and activities.
  • Any current application under review that has postponed their original event date and requesting a new date must provide an amendment to the original application in writing.  These requests will be considered first come-first served for a new date.
  • New 2020 applications are still accepted, but these applications will not be reviewed until current heath restrictions and requirements have been rescinded or upgraded.  Rescheduling of renewal events will take priority over new proposed events.

A Special Event Permit is required whenever an event uses a road in unincorporated Boulder County. Events may include, but are not limited to:

  • bicycle races or group rides of more than 50 people
  • foot races or walks or walks of more than 50 people
  • motor vehicle events
  • block parties
  • parades
  • filming requests

Special Event Permits ensure that all events protect the health, safety, and welfare of event participants, the traveling public, and citizens.

Permits within city limits are issued by the respective cities. Contact information for municipal permits is available in the Special Events Guide.

  • Filming Requests = Seven (7) days prior to filming date
  • Block Parties = 14 days prior to party
  • All Others = At least 60 days prior to the event date, but no more than 364 days prior to the event
  • $50 application fee
  • $500 performance deposit, which will be refunded as long as all permit conditions are successfully met

Fees for local schools, local governments, and block parties can be waived at the discretion of the Special Event Coordinator.

In general, the following must be subitted:

  • A completed application
  • Site plan or route map of the event
  • Operations and communications plan
  • Medical/Emergency response plan
  • Traffic control/transportation plan
  • Notification plan

Additional items may be required depending on the size and scale of the event. For more information, please consult the Special Events Guide, or contact the Special Event Coordinator.

Yes, for most events. Please consult the Special Events Guide for more information.

Block parties are not required to have insurance.

Special Events are required to give advance notifications via three primary means:

  • Written notification to adjacent property owners
  • Advance signing notifications along the event route or at the event location at least seven (7) days prior to the event
  • Written notification to the fire protection district at least 14 days prior to the event

For more information, consult the Special Events Guide.

In general, the following must be submitted for filming requests:

  • A completed special event permit application
  • Required application fee and performance deposit
  • Map of the filming area(s)
  • Operations plan describing the setup and duration of the filming
  • Traffic control/transportation plan
  • Notification plan
  • Certificate of insurance
  • If drones are used, additional insurance and drone operator’s license (FAA Part 1007)

Additional items may be required depending on the size and scale of the media request. For more information, contact the Special Events Coordinator.

The following must be submitted for block parties:

  • A completed special events permit application
  • Map clearly showing the streets to be closed
  • Description of barricades to be used
  • Narrative of how residents and fire districts are to be informed, if restrooms are available, if live/amplified music will be played, and if alcohol will be served

For more information, consult the Block Party Guide or contact the Special Events Coordinator.

Events on private property are subject to the Group Gathering/Special Events use under the Boulder County Land Use Code.

For more information, please contact the Land Use Department by email or by calling 303-441-3930.

Special Event Liquor Permits are issued by the Boulder County Liquor Licensing Authority.

For more information, visit their website, send them an email, or call 303-441-3829.

Need some help before submitting your application for a Special Event Permit? Our Special Event Guide can help answer questions about required materials and expectations. View the complete guide, or use the links below to jump to what you’re looking for:

Please Contact Special Event Coordinator John Holste via email or by calling 303-441-3906 with questions or concerns.

Contact Us

Community Planning & Permitting

John Holste, Special Events Coordinator

Email: Special Events
Direct: 303-441-3906
Main: 303-441-3930

Courthouse Annex Building

2045 13th Street
Boulder, CO 80302
Map & Directions

Mailing Address

PO Box 471
Boulder, CO 80306