BoCo Alert System

Level 1 Fire Restrictions in effect for western Boulder County (more). See flyer and map for details.

Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP)
Kids learning

Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP)

The Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) provides financial assistance to eligible low-income families who need child care benefits for children from birth to age 12. If you are eligible, a portion of the total child care cost will be paid. You will be required to pay a portion of the childcare costs directly to the provider based on family size and income.

Boulder County administers CCAP alongside its other self-sufficiency-supporting services. This means that we are able to more quickly connect you with other services you may need, including food and housing assistance, Medicaid, and Work Supports.


The point of service attendance system will be replaced this fall with a new attendance system.

A valid email address is required for you to register in the new system and record your child’s attendance. Contact your county worker by June 30th, 2017 to confirm your email address.

The new CCAP attendance system will allow you to record and monitor your child’s attendance from your provider’s computer, tablet, or smartphone using a unique personal identification number and valid email address.

Not sure how to contact your county worker?
Find contact info here:

  • Parents who are working
  • Parents who are searching for a job (within State established time limits)
  • Teen parents (up to age 21) in a high school diploma or GED program
  • Parents needing child care for up to 24 months for post-secondary education or training (up to a first Bachelor’s Degree or less)
  • GED, ESL, or Adult Basic Education, for up to 12 months
  • Families receiving Colorado Works/TANF
  • Applicants must be residents of Boulder County
  • If applicable, parents must continue to cooperate with Child Support Services for the children requesting care.

Income & Resource Limits

Find out more about the income limits for all programs.

How to find a Child Care Provider

Need help finding a Child Care provider please contact the Child Care Resource and Referrals line at: 1-877-338-2273

CCAP Provider Support staff

XEROX- POS machine issues:

Contact Xerox at 1 877 779 1932 if you are having technical issues with the POS device. Always reference the POS manual to troubleshoot before you contact Xerox. Be sure to inform after you have contacted Xerox.

What if the CCAP family fails to pay the parental fee?

  • If a client has not paid their parental fee, they must make acceptable arrangements to pay those fees or their benefits will be terminated.
    The CCAP provider can also email to request an unpaid parent fee form.

If I know that a child’s schedule will change (e. g. A non -school day for a school age child, so the parent wants the child to attend all day), how do I get paid the difference?

  • Encourage the parent to contact CCAP BEFORE THE CHANGE to request a written change in the child’s authorization schedule before care is provided. You run the risk of not being paid for the difference in care if this change is not made officially by the parent.

Who is responsible for purchasing thermal paper for the POS device?

  • When the POS device is shipped to the provider, it will come with 2 thermal rolls of paper. Providers will be responsible for purchasing additional thermal rolls as needed at office supply stores or online stores.

The POS device works, but the phone line does not. What can I do?

  • The POS device stores entries for up to 9 days so that they can be transmitted when the problem is solved. When this happens, a “Store and Forward” message will display.

I am a CCAP provider. How do I reach PSSP regarding training and/or resetting my password?



How do I use the CCAP card?

You can meet with a CCAP eligibility technician during open hours and they will go over the steps required to use the CCAP card. They have a demonstration unit and you can practice swiping your child in or out of care. If you are unable to meet and review the steps in person we have helpful YouTube videos available for you to view.

Full Version: How to use CCAP Card

How do I apply for CCAP?

Effective June 1, 2017, a waitlist has been put into place. To determine if you are eligible to be placed on the CCAP waitlist, you must complete the CCAP Waitlist Pre-Screening Questionnaire.

Once completed, you will be contacted by email or mail. You can also pick-up and submit a CCAP Waitlist Pre-Screening Questionnaire at any of our locations.

How long will the waitlist last?

We do not know how long Boulder County Child Care Assistance program will be on a waitlist. When we are able to serve more families, we will notify families on the list.

How will I know I am on the waitlist?

After you have turned in your Pre-Screening Questionnaire (PSQ), a technician will contact you via mail or email with a notice that you are approved for the waitlist or a denial notice with reason for denial.

Now, that I am on the waitlist what is next?

As long as Boulder County CCAP is in waitlist status you will receive a PSQ-Changes Form every six (6) months to update your case information. If you fail to complete the PSQ-Changes Form your name will be removed from the waitlist and you will need to start the process over if needed.

Is the PSQ Form the same as an application?

No, the PSQ and PSQ-Changes Form is not an application, it is a quick questionnaire to determine waitlist eligibility. You will need to complete the full application process when removed from waitlist.

What changes do I need to report at the six (6) months mark?

  • You will need to report changes to your eligible activity, any income, and household composition.
  • In addition, you will need to keep your contact information current with Boulder County CCAP so that we can be sure to get the PSQ-Changes Form sent to the correct mailing or email address.

What happens if I no longer need care assistance?

Please report this immediately to Boulder County CCAP so we can remove you from list.

Is there anything else I should report?

If you move out of county and are able to obtain CCAP in that county, please let us know so we can remove you from the list.

Will you inform me when my name is up to be taken off list?

Once a spot becomes available, a CCAP technician will inform you via mail or email that you have been removed from the waitlist and that you can now start process of applying. You will need to complete a full CCCAP application and provide verifications as needed for that application. Once you are determined the tech will call you regarding your case.

What documents I need to submit?
  • Your completed CCAP application signed by primary applicant.
  • Verification of all household income including: child support, SSI, Unemployment etc.
  • Original photo ID – for adult members of your household
  • U.S. citizenship verification birth certificates for all children needing CCAP.
  • Proof of county residency- current utility bill, lease, or vehicle registration in your name. Letter from landlord, roommate or relative with whom you reside.
  • Name of the child care provider you will be using including the name of the center, address or location, phone/ or and provider ID #.
  • Visitation information (copy of court order or written information.
  • There are additional acceptable forms of verification, please ask your Eligibility Intake staff. You may be asked for additional verification not on this list based on reported information on application.

If you are working we will also need one of the following:

  • The last 30 days of pay stubs of all adult members of your household OR
  • Completed verification of employment form for any new job(s) less than 60 days
  • The Verification of Employment Form detailing rate of pay and your pay frequency.

If you are self-employed we will also need:

  • The last 30 days of pay stubs or ledgers including all income and expenses with supporting invoices and receipts for all self-employed adult members of your household.
  • Statement of anticipated work schedule.

If you are a student we will also need:

  • A letter from your school verifying the program you are in, the degree or certificate you will receive, and your anticipated graduation date.

If you are a Teen Parent you will need:

  • Verification that you are in a High School diploma or GED program. If you live with parent, relative- a letter from them stating that you live with them and a bill in their name showing the address where you and your child reside. If requesting care during non-traditional hours (6:00 PM – 6:30 AM) a verified work or school schedule is required.
When will my CCAP child care begin?

The County will be able to begin processing your CCAP benefits when the completed application AND all of the required verifications have been received. CCAP benefits will begin the date your CCAP caseworker determines that all eligibility requirements are met and when all required documents have been received (not the date on the application).

How is the monthly parental fee calculated?

The parental fee amount is based on family size and income, the number of hours you and any other adults in your household work or attend educational or training programs, and the number of hours your child is in care. Full-time care is anything over 5 hours per day and Part- time care is 5 hours or less. The parent fee is paid by the CCAP family directly to your child care provider.

When will I receive my swipe card?

CCAP cards are issued and mailed to your home address within 3-5 business days. Please contact your CCAP caseworker if it takes longer than one week at Be sure to always update your mailing address and contact information when there are changes.

How many cards will I receive and who can help me PIN my cards?

CCAP clients are issued two CCAP cards per family no matter how many CCAP children are enrolled in the program. Clients will need to PIN each card individually (we recommend that they use the same PIN number for both cards to avoid potential confusion). The PIN-ing instructions will be mailed separately from the actual cards so it is important to look for this letter. If you are having a problem pinning your card, please call your county caseworker directly or call 303-678-6014 or email Remember you MUST swipe the card in and out at the child care provider’s location each time your CCAP child uses CCAP care. Do not swipe for days your child was absent.

What if I forget to use the swipe card?

Your are required to swipe in daily for care used. However, if you forget to swipe, you MUST return to the child care provider and perform a “Previous Check-in/out function on or before 9 days from your missed swipe date; otherwise, your child care provider will not be paid and you may be responsible for the full rate on days where a swipe is missing.

There are some limited exceptions that are considered on a case by case basis. These exceptions include: A new provider without a POS machine on site, a new CCAP client waiting on their CCAP card to arrive (3-5 days), technical problems with the swipe machine, or if there is a damaged/lost card reported within 24 hours Department of Housing & Human Services hours. Every CCAP client signs a client responsibilities agreement which on #13 that states “I agree to use my CCAP card to check my child(ren) in and out of care daily or I may be responsible for payment of the child care costs”.

What if I lose my swipe card or if it is damaged?

Contact the Boulder County CCAP team at 303-678-6014 and within 24 hours of the loss or damage. State your name, phone number, explain your situation and provide the caseworker with the 16 digit number on the front of the remaining CCAP card (if you have that). That will help your caseworker order a replacement card for you. Be sure to verify that your mailing address is still current. If your address has changed you will need to provide a verification of county residency.

If I receive a replacement swipe card do I need to re-pin it?

No, you do not need to re-PIN the card unless you wish to change the personal identification number.

I seem to forget to bring my swipe card with me. Can’t I leave it with my child care provider?

This is not allowed under any circumstance. A provider can never have possession of their clients’ CCAP cards. If this happens they will no longer be a CCAP provider. If your card is found at a center you will lose your CCAP benefits. If your provider ever requests to store your CCAP card, please notify your CCAP caseworker immediately.

If you Need Assistance Finding Child Care?

Please contact our partners at Mile High United Way’s Child Care Options, providing child care resource and referrals for Colorado at 877-338-CARE (2273).

If I live in Boulder County and work in another county, do I have to use a provider in Boulder County?

No, as long as the childcare provider accepts Boulder County CCAP and has a signed fiscal agreement with Boulder County.

Can you explain the various types of child care providers that can accept CCAP?

Yes, there are several types:

    • Licensed family child care home -must hold a valid Colorado license number and be in compliance with the rules and regulations required by the state. Licensed homes provide care for up to six children plus two additional school age children in a home setting. Child care may be available during any part of the day including weekends on a part-time or full-time basis. Licensed home providers set their hours, plan their curriculum and set their own policies on discipline, meals, potty training and other similar child rearing issues. Licensed home providers have first aid and CPR training, as well as training in child care related courses, and are inspected by the child care licensing inspectors.
    • Licensed child care center– these child care centers provide care for five or more children in a non-residential setting. Child care centers must be licensed to provide child care services and must comply with state regulations. The ages of children in care are specified on the license but may include infants, toddlers, preschoolers or school-age children. Child care centers are inspected by the State Health Department and local fire officials in addition to child care licensing inspectors. This setting should provide activities to promote your child’s development while interacting with other children.
    • Qualified Providers or legally exempt providers are not required to be licensed to provide child care and may participate in CCAP. This can be child care with a friend or a family member. Like the licensed providers, they need to complete a fiscal agreement and POS agreement. This process can take upwards of 6 months to complete and fees will be incurred by the provider applicant. The rest of the paragraph and the sections that follow are fine and can stay. In addition, qualified providers sign an agreement listing Child Care standards for non-licensed providers who meet certain standards. These providers must be 18 years or older, attend orientation for CCAP, submit to a fingerprint and background check for all adults in the household 18 years or older with a fee for each adult paid by the provider, and complete and turn in all necessary forms for the CCAP program. Examples of when you might use a qualified provider:
    • For care in your home- You may choose someone to care for your children in your home. This type of care does not require a child care license. The person doing the care could be a relative, neighbor or friend. The provider cannot be a parent or step-parent of the child in care and must be at least 18 years old.
    • For care in someone else’s home-You may choose to place your children in someone else’s home. If your children are the only ones for whom care is being provided, no license is required. The caregiver could be a relative, friend, or neighbor who is at least 18 years old.
I have been told that I must “comply with Child Support Services”. What does that mean?

Boulder County CCAP recipients must complete a Child Support Application within 30 days of being accepted into CCAP if the CCAP child’s birth parents are not living together. Contact the Child Support offices at 303.441-1000 or stop by HHS Longmont at 515 Coffman St. for an application. Office hours are from 8:00 AM – 3:30 PM. Please do NOT request or complete the child support application before you are accepted into CCAP. There is a $20 one-time child support application fee. You will have 30 days from the date you were CCAP approved to submit your completed child support application. You can also download an application from the Child Support Website

I am moving to or from another county. Can’t I simply transfer my CCAP benefits?

CCAP may be able to provide you with up to 30 days of childcare assistance while you move to another county. Each county has set eligibility rules and income guidelines that are specific to their county. CCAP benefits are awarded from the county where you reside. You must advise your current county before your move and apply for CCAP in the new county of residence.

The POS machine is not working properly. Who do I call?

Contact Xerox at 1.877.779.1932 if you are having technical issues with the POS device and it is not working. Always reference the POS user manual which lists all the error codes and assists with troubleshooting.

How do I record attendance?

During 2010, Boulder County began using a new payment system that requires CCAP clients to swipe their card at a Point of Sale (POS) device to record attendance. Your clients are required to use this card at your location to record attendance. If they miss a swipe, they need to return to your location and perform a “previous check-in/out” within 9 days of the missed swipe date. Also as part of a licensing requirement for attendance, providers are required to keep a sign in/out sheet for parents in addition to using the POS.

The denied message reads “Check-out first”. How do I know what day and time to use?

The POS receipt reads the information needed. For example, an attempted check-in on 2/14 will read: denied-AB reason: check-out first- 2/13. Always reference the POS user manual which lists all the error codes and assists with troubleshooting. If you need individual assistance understanding the POS receipts call the CCAP team at 303-678-6014

Can I use my cell phone to connect to the POS device?

No, all POS devices must be connected using an analog phone line.

Get the facts about childcare in Boulder County and the benefits of CCAP.

Our Early Childhood Investments fact sheet also contains lots of great information about other programs that contribute to child and family well-being in Boulder County.

Effective June 1st, 2017, a waitlist has been put into place. To determine if you are eligible to be placed on the CCAP waitlist, you must complete the CCAP waitlist Pre-Screening Questionnaire. Once completed, you will be contacted by email or mail. You can also pick-up and submit a CCAP Waitlist Pre-Screening Questionnaire at any of our locations.

As of 1/12/17, CCAP will no longer accept walk ins on Tuesdays and Thursdays in Longmont or Boulder offices. If you need assistance with your case, please contact the CCAP team at 303-678-6014 or and a technician will be happy to assist you.

Contact Us

Housing & Human Services

Phone: 303-441-1000
TTY: 1-800-659-3656
Fax: 303-441-1523
Submit a question

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 471
Boulder, CO 80306

Boulder Location

3460 Broadway
Map & Directions

2525 13th St, Suite 204
Map & Directions
Fax: 720-564-2283
Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM - M-F

Longmont Location

515 Coffman Street
Map & Directions
Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM - M-F

Connect With Us