Porting in to Boulder County:
Participants and Applicants interested in porting their existing Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) to Boulder County Housing Authority must request that their initial Housing Authority send over the paperwork via fax or email.
Alex Cuddeback, Portability Specialist
Boulder County Housing Authority: PO BOX 471, Boulder, CO 80306
BCHA will make contact with the family within 10 business days upon receipt of the paperwork and notify the initial Housing Authority regarding billing or absorbing the voucher.
After contact is made, families must choose a day to attend a Portability Orientation and Intake Appointment. Orientation and intake Appointments are pre-scheduled for the 2nd and 4th Friday of each month. Please notify the current Portability Specialist which day you would like to attend.
During this process, please see the following information for your reference:
- Voucher size is subject to change based on each PHA’s Policies and Procedures, for BCHA’s current subsidy standards please visit Chapter 5 Part 2 of our Administrative Plan.
- If information given to the Portability Specialist is incomplete or unclear, further processing will not be completed until all necessary documents are obtained.
ALL units intended for leasing under Section 8 must follow our current posted payment standards, and not create a Total Tenant Portion (TTP) of more than 40% of the adjusted household income upon initial move-in. Current payment standards.
- An HQS Inspection must take place before a household is cleared for move in. If you have already located a unit please have the Property Manager or Landlord complete a Request for Tenancy Approval Form RFTA and W-9, and submit to our current Portability Specialist for review.
- It is the household’s responsibility to find housing within the jurisdiction of Boulder County Housing Authority and Security Deposits are not covered by BCHA.
Porting out of Boulder County to another PHA:
If you are currently assisted by BCHA and would like to port to another jurisdiction out of Boulder County you must first you must first:
- Notify your current case manager
- Complete the Family Request for Portability form
- Sign a new voucher
- Provide the housing authority name, address, phone and fax numbers, and the person in charge of portability from the jurisdiction you wish to move to, if two different PHAs serve the same area and you do not select one, BCHA has the discretion to choose which PHA to send your file to
- Notify current landlord with a 30-day written notice of move out and copy to BCHA
If you owe any money to BCHA or your current landlord, you will NOT be allowed to port out until the debt is paid in full. If any household members are not moving with the family, those changes must be completed before the port process.