GENESISTER is a pregnancy prevention program for the siblings of pregnant and parenting teens.
When compared to siblings of non-parenting teens, adolescent siblings of teen parents:
- Are 2-6 times more likely to become pregnant.
- Are more likely to be sexually active during early adolescence.
- Tend to have lower educational aspirations and more problems at school – characteristics associated with increased risk of early sexual activity and pregnancy.
GENESISTER (jen-a-sister) is a partner program to the award-winning GENESIS Program for pregnant and parenting teens. GENESISTER was developed in response to the high number of GENESIS siblings who become teen parents themselves.
To participate, youth must be:
- The sibling of a pregnant or parenting teen (a.k.a. a teen aunt).
- Between the ages of 11 and 17.
- A resident of Boulder County.For more information or to refer a teen, please call 303-678-6139.