Where to Go
Horses and pack animals are allowed on all open space trails except
- Lichen Loop at Heil Valley Ranch
- Incorporated areas within Lafayette and Louisville along the Rock Creek Trail and Coal Creek Trail
Equestrians should also be aware that the Walker Ranch Loop at Walker Ranch includes a 500-foot cliff-like section of stone steps that is not recommended for horses.
Equestrians are encouraged to stay on designated trails and must be under the physical control of a person at all times. The following guidelines will help make your ride more pleasant.
- Check out trails in advance.
- Shoe your horse because many trails are rocky.
- Although other users are expected to yield to equestrians, assume they are unaware of trail etiquette.
- Let other users know when it is safe to pass your horse.
- Before passing other users, call out “passing” and then pass with care.
- Trailer parking is limited. Refrain from parking your trailer in spaces not designated as trailer parking.
- Avoid riding muddy trails but, if you must, ride through the mud, not around it.
- Please use weed-free hay to avoid spreading aggressive, non-native plants on open space.