The Child Health Promotion (CHP) Program program offers a variety of classes for child care providers. These classes are designed to increase the health and well being of children in Boulder County.
Healthy Eating Active Living
- Healthy Eating Active Living 5210
This three session course covers increasing physical activity, improving nutritional practices and quality of foods, and how to encourage families to move more and pack healthy lunches and snacks for their children.
- Healthy Eating Active Living 5210 Refresher Course
This is a one-time refresher course reviewing the content presented in Healthy Eating Active Living.
Our Child Health Promotion dietitian can do a menu review, staff training, and/or answer your nutrition questions.
Learn how to embed movement into daily routines to support health, brain development, and improve behavior.
- Farm to Preschool
Work with us to design a program to match the needs and goals of your childcare center. Farm to preschool programs may include:
- Sourcing local foods for school snacks and meals
- Nutrition and/or garden-based curricula
- School gardening
- Cooking lessons and taste testing
- Field trips to farms, farmers’ markets, and community gardens
- Parent workshops
Boulder County Public Health recognizes and promotes child care centers that have made breastfeeding support a priority by certifying eligible centers as “Breastfeeding-Friendly.” Learn how you can improve breastfeeding support at your child care center through training and achieving the 10 steps to becoming breastfeeding friendly.
- The Penn State Extension Better Kid Care (BKC) Program provides professional development opportunities for early learning and care professionals who are caring for children, ages 0-8. All modules are also accepted for the Child Development Associate (CDA) credential and CEUs are available for completed lessons (10 hours = 1 CEU) and are approved for professional development credit in 40 states and the District of Columbia. There is a $5.00 fee for a certificate of completion.
- Health & Safety
The Child Health Promotion Program offers a variety of health and safety trainings. Please fill out this form to request a training at your center.
- Radon Safety
According to the latest CDPHE regulations, the results of radon tests for child care providers are due May 1, 2017. Learn how, when, and where to test. Get your radon testing plan in place and to ask questions of the Boulder County Environmental Health, radon experts.
- Playground Safety
Request a comprehensive playground safety inspection to create a safer playground environment for all children and contribute to the reduction of playground-related deaths and injuries.
- Food Handler Training
STAR classes (Sanitation Training Assistance for Restaurateurs) are offered to staff of restaurants and child care providers in English, Spanish, and Chinese. STAR classes are offered online or in-person and can be scheduled at your facility (by request).
- Safe Sleep
Safe sleep is more than just “back to sleep.” Safe sleep includes where the baby sleeps and how the baby sleeps. Come to this workshop and learn how you can ensure that babies are sleeping safely in your child care program. This training is an approved Safe Sleep training, as required by the Colorado Office of Early Childhood.
- Online Safe Sleep Course
- Emergency Preparedness
Planning, preparing, and practicing for an emergency is not only required for all child care programs, but it is the best way to decrease anxiety around such events. Attend this workshop to begin development of your comprehensive emergency preparedness plan and to ask questions of the Boulder County Public Health Emergency Managers.
- Clean Hands Program for Child Care Providers
A fun, interactive program that teaches the magic of hand washing for children ages 3-7 years. The Child Health Promotion program offers this training as a train-the-trainer for child care programs, schools, and day camps staff to learn how to teach children about germs and how they can make you sick, how to wash hands properly, and the times to wash.
- [LINK]Child Care Immunization Course[/LINK] (Registration link is on page 15.) Learn more about immunizations and the immunization requirements for children in a child care or preschool setting in Colorado.
- Health Screening
Request hearing screening equipment and/or information on vision and dental screenings.
- Watch Me! Celebrating Milestones & Sharing Concerns
An online training course providing tools and best practices for monitoring the development of children in your care and talking about it with parents.
- Child Health Liaison
The Child Health Liaison online course is a training resource for early care and education providers interested in improving health and safety in their programs. Potential course participants include individuals who provide out-of-home care in child care centers, family child care homes, Head Start, and preschools.
- Colorado Office of Early Childhood Available Trainings