Frequently Asked Questions

Motor Vehicle, Elections, & Recording are open Monday -Thursday 7:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. and closed to the public on Friday. See press release for more details. Las divisiones de Vehículos de Motor, Elecciones y Registro están abiertas de Lunes a Jueves de 7:30am a 5:00pm, y cerradas al público los Viernes. Vea el Comunicado de Prensa para más detalles.

Motor Vehicle Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


We have three offices to serve the public. All locations are open from 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday-Thursday (except holidays).

  • Boulder – Clerk & Recorder’s Office – 1750 33rd Street – Map & Directions
  • Lafayette – Clerk & Recorder’s Office – 1376 Miner’s Drive – Map & Directions
  • Longmont – Clerk & Recorder’s Office – 529 Coffman Street – Map & Directions

The offices are usually busy on the first and last days of the week and the month. Generally, the quietest time is during mid week before 10:00 a.m. (unless it is the last day of the month). In addition, our Lafayette branch experiences lower traffic volume.

Keep in mind that you can complete most transactions online at You can also shorten your wait time by making an appointment online (available for most services except renewals).

New Colorado residents must register their vehicle(s) within 90 days of establishing residency by visiting one of our three branch locations. You can skip the line by making an appointment online. Before your visit, please visit our New Resident Registrations page to make sure you have all required documentation.

You must provide the buyer with the Vehicle Title (properly endorsed), Bill of Sale, and new Emissions Certificate (if the vehicle requires emissions testing). You must also remove your license plates, and it is recommended that you complete a Release of Liability after the sale is complete.

Please visit our Buying & Selling a Vehicle page for more details about these items.


The easiest ways to renew are online at or at one of our self-service kiosks. You may also renew by mail. Please see our Renew Registration page for more information. We recommend coming into the office only as a last resort.

It is easy to renew even without a renewal postcard. You can use a copy of your last registration or your VIN number plus License Plate number.

Renewal postcards cannot be forwarded. If you moved recently, please update your Vehicle Address online.

First-time Registrations

Click here to estimate your registration fees online. Keep in mind that you may also need to pay sales tax at the time of registration. Visit our Fees & Taxes page for more information.

When you purchase a vehicle from a Colorado dealer, the dealership sends our office the paperwork needed to title your vehicle. Once we finish processing the paperwork, we send you a Title Complete Notice. This means that you are now able to register your vehicle. You can skip a trip to our office and register online. For more information, please see our Recently Purchased Vehicle – Colorado Dealer page.

You need to register your vehicle either online or at one of our branches before your temporary plates expire. The one-month grace period does not apply to temporary permits.

To see if you are ready to register your vehicle, please check out our Registration Page to make sure you have all necessary documentation. If you need to come into an office, you can make an appointment.

Purchase from a Colorado Dealership

Purchase from a Private Party or Out-of-State Dealership

License Plates

Most Colorado license plate types (including regular plates) can be personalized. If you want a special plate, you can check here to see if your desired plate can be personalized and if it is available online.

If it is available online, you can visit to request your personalized plate as part of a first-time vehicle registration or to replace your existing plates.

If your desired plate is not available online, you will need to come into one of our Motor Vehicle offices.

Colorado has many types of specialty plates available, including for alumni, military, sports teams, nonprofits, and more. Most specialty plates have specific requirements (e.g., donations, documentation, extra fees). Please see the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles website for a full list of available specialty plates and specific requirements for each plate type. You can also see if your plate is available online.

If your plate is available online, you can request it at as part of a first-time vehicle registration or as replacement plates.

The first set of Disabled Veteran plates are free and are issued by the State. Complete the Military License Plate Application. The application must be accompanied by copies of the required documents:

  • DD 214 or other discharge documents showing proof of honorable discharge from a branch of the U.S. Armed Services
  • A letter from Veterans Affairs which establishes eligibility. The letter must state the following:
    • Disability of veteran is 50% or more; and
    • Disability of veteran is service related; and
    • Disability of veteran is permanent

Please note: the benefit letter from Veterans Affairs showing the amount of your benefit cannot be used to establish eligibility for the Disabled Veteran plate.

  • Vehicle registration or title receipt or title completion notice
  • Proof of insurance
  • Proof of emissions (if required)

Mail the application and copies of required documents to our office at the address below, or visit any of our three Motor Vehicle Offices:

Boulder County Clerk and Recorder
1750 33rd Street, Suite 100
Boulder, CO 80301

To obtain a second set or additional sets of DV plates, you may contact the County Motor Vehicle Office, 303-413-7710, or visit any of our office locations. There is a one-time fee of $50.00 in addition to applicable taxes and fees.

For further information, please visit the Department of Revenue website.

Select military license plate styles are exempt from registration fees and ownership taxes. Please refer to the Military License Plate Application for styles and qualification requirements.

Title Issues

A vehicle title is required to register the vehicle in Boulder County. Do your best to recover the title from the previous owner(s).

If you are unable to obtain the title, you can apply for a bonded title. Please contact us for instructions.

Visit our Title Services page to learn what different types of branded titles mean. Important: a title branded as “Salvage” is not considered roadworthy and therefore can’t be registered without first being repaired and passing an inspection.

You may apply for a new title free of any liens, but this is optional. Instead, you may simply file away the existing title with the lien release completed on it (or the separate lien release letter). If/when you want to sell your vehicle, you can do so using the title with the lien release.

If you wish to obtain a clear title free of any liens, you will need to visit one of our offices and present the following:

Still have questions? Check out the following resources:

Contact Us

Motor Vehicle Division

**New as of Jan 4, 2021**
7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Mon-Thurs.
CLOSED Fridays
Online Contact Form
Contáctenos - Formulario en línea

Phone: 303-413-7710

Fax: 303-413-7725 (Boulder office)
Fax: 303-413-7002 (Lafayette office)
Fax: 303-678-6126 (Longmont office)


Boulder: 1750 33rd Street
Map & Directions

Longmont: 529 Coffman Street
Map & Directions

Lafayette: 1376 Miners Drive
Map & Directions

Mailing Address

1750 33rd Street, Suite 100
Boulder, CO 80301