One mode of transportation does not meet all needs. By integrating various modes, transportation becomes flexible and provides diverse options for diverse needs.
Why it Matters
Choosing affordable transportation options can save you between $4,300 and $8,300 per year!
Affordable Transportation Options
- RTD is the local and regional transit provider for the Denver/Boulder metro area.
- RTD LiVE discount program gives low-income riders a 40% discount on RTD fares- learn how to apply or view RTD LiVE Program FAQs
- RTD Access-a-Ride provides local bus transportation in the metro area for people with disabilities – 303-299-2960
- RTD Call-n-Ride is a personalized bus service that travels within select RTD service areas. It can connect you to bus routes, Park-n-Rides, work, school, and appointments
- VIA Mobility Services is a full-spectrum mobility manager offering paratransit, travel training, and mobility options information and referral services – 303-447-2848
- Way to Go offers a regional ride matching service for carpools, vanpools, and schoolpools – 303-458-POOL
- Aging and Disability Resources for Colorado (ADRC) is here to empower older adults and adults with disabilities and their caregivers by providing information about local resources, services, and programs.
- Medicaid Non-Emergent Medical Transportation is offered by Veyo
- Denver Regional Mobility and Access Council provides a comprehensive resource to find specialized transportation options throughout the greater Denver region to fit your specific needs.
Affordable living (defined as spending no more than 15% of a households’ income on transportation and no more than 30% on housing) has increasingly become a challenge for many county residents. With every $1 saved on housing by moving further away, you end up spending $.77 of that dollar on transportation.
Ask Your Employer
Reliable and affordable transportation is essential for stable employment. Here are a few tips that may help you secure affordable transportation to and from your workplace:
- Ask them about the RTD Eco-Pass program or if they offer RTD passes
- See if there is a van- or carpool option
- If work is 1 or 2 miles from a bus route, you might be able to combine busing and biking