The planning or development review processes through the Land Use Department are necessary to achieve a number of goals. First and foremost, is to ensure the health, safety, and welfare of the citizens while at the same time protecting the rights of property owners.
The type and scope of process will depend on the scope of the proposal and/or the particular circumstances on your parcel. The staff is committed to letting you know as early in your project as possible what process will be required and the steps necessary. The planning review process is our administrative means of consistently and efficiently enforcing the County’s Land Use policies and regulations. See the Planning Process Fee Schedule.
Before submitting an application, applicants must first contact the Land Use Department to make an appointment for a Land Use Review Pre-Application Conference with a Planner to discuss the proposal. To schedule a pre-application conference, please call 303-441-3930 or email using the Ask a Planner form.
Types of Planning Review Processes
- Location and Extent Areas and Activities of State Interest (1041) Review
- Appeal (AP) of Interpretation
- Land Use Code Updates
- Development Plan Review (DPR) Process
- Exemption Plat (EP) Review Process
- Historic Preservation (HP) Review Process
- Limited Impact Special Use (LU) Review
- Site Plan Review
- Site Plan Review Waiver
- Special Use (SU)/Site Specific Development Plan (SSDP) Review
- Subdivision (SD) Review
- Subdivision Exemption (SE) Review Process
- Vacation (V) Review Process
- Variance (VAR) Review Process
Planning Publications, Applications and Forms
View all Land Use Planning Publications, Applications and Forms at Planning Publications.
Docket Related Information
View Development Applications Under Review for the status of individual planning or development review processes.
Visit the Commissioners’ Hearings page for public meeting agendas, minutes and live webcasts.
If you have a question, please use the Ask a Planner Form or call 303-441-3930.