Financed Purchase Checklist
Provide the following to register a vehicle purchased from an out-of-state dealer, if financed:
- Complete paperwork from the lien holder if not sent to the Motor Vehicle Division
- Security agreement or loan documents
Cash Purchase Checklist
Provide the following to register a vehicle purchased from an out-of-state dealer, if paid in cash:
- Secure and Verifiable ID
- Title (notarized if required on the title)
- Bill of sale or dealer invoice
- Proof of Insurance
- Applicable sales tax or proof of paid sales tax
- Odometer disclosure statement if the vehicle is less than ten years old:
- Disclose on title, secure dealer bill of sale or secure power of attorney
- Include odometer reading
- Hand-printed names and signatures of buyers and sellers (required)
- Weight slip is required for the following:
- Motor homes, cargo vans, and trucks if the empty weight is over 4,500 pounds and not listed on title
- Trailers weighing more than 2,000 pounds
- Proof of emissions test, if required:
Registration fees cannot be estimated over the phone or by email. Estimates may be obtained by using the Calculate First Registration Fee calculator.
Vehicles must be registered within 60 days of purchase.
License Plate Information
Colorado issues license plates for a 12-month period. Renew your registration during the month indicated on the registration or during the following month, known as the one-month grace period.
Colorado law requires residents to pay late fees. Late fees may not exceed $100. Temporary permits are not subject to a one-month grace period (C.R.S. 42-3-112, 42-3-114).